Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Best Chocolate Sheet Cake

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEio0mi3rad9YIPhfs_IA8KDP3oxZzkNjcN2UvQRlVl_tc5epGmKlSwER08VAABxu6ckb8lPaZFHi9Ygacv0ABQ38ULH41GgsWN3nbA4VCuZFK6ppaG4BZAj8Dc-n0Eownzyj11dTr35dYM/s1600/IMG_7876.JPGIt's Judy's Surprise Birthday and I have been wanting to make this incredible cake ever since I saw it on The Pioneer Woman Cook's Blog. She says it's The Best Sheet Cake Ever, and I trust her. Everything that I have made from her blog has been delicious and my kids have asked me to make it all the time! Well she was right! Friends were going back for second and third pieces! I wanted to make a delicious cake for Judy and her friends, since I didn't know how many people were going to be there to surprise the HECK out of her, I thought that a sheet cake would be perfect! I read every single one of the comments on TPWC Blog, which is saying a lot ( she usually gets around 800 comments or MORE per post) and so many people commented that this cake was really difficult to mess up. I thought of this the whole time that I was talking to my best friend while trying to make the cake and frosting. Do you ever do that? Leave out an ingredient while you are having a serious conversation on the phone? I have, sugar , while making pies, not good at all!I didn't leave out any ingredients for this cake, but my mind was really concentrating on two things at one time. I recommend this if you are feeling lazy and need to be challenged! Talking and Baking!
This sheet cake is wonderful warm after just being freshly frosted or perfect the day after for breakfast, or as a late snack, or before lunch, or after a hike! My kids are asking me to make another sheet cake since this one was whisked away for the party, okay kids, for your birthday! Make sure to decorate the cake if you like, I am in no way a skilled baker-ess, I drew out JUDY and a Heart, but it was still hard to tell what that exactly was...
As we were all hiding waiting for Judy and Tom to come back from their date night, Judy's Mother called Judy from the back room asking her if she could show her something on the computer, the lights were off, we were quiet as mice, we all jumped out and yelled SURPRISE!! Thank goodness, Judy is young and has a very strong heart, I would have collapsed, don't yell at me and come jumping out at me from a dark room, years will come off my life! You are an amazing sport Young Judy!!
Judy still trying to recover, you did a great job Tom keeping it a secret!

Ingredients

FOR THE CAKE:
2 cups Flour
2 cups Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
4 Tablespoons (heaping) Cocoa Powder2 sticks Butter
1 cup Boiling Water
1/2 cup Buttermilk
2 whole Beaten Eggs
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Vanilla

FOR FROSTING:
1/2 cup Finely Chopped Pecans
1-3/4 stick Butter
4 Tablespoons (heaping) Cocoa
6 Tablespoons Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 pound (minus 1/2 Cup) Powdered Sugar

Preparation Instructions

Note: I use an 18x13 sheet cake pan.
In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt.
In a saucepan, melt butter. Add cocoa. Stir together.
Add boiling water, allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds, then turn off heat. Pour over flour mixture, and stir lightly to cool.
In a measuring cup, pour the buttermilk and add beaten eggs, baking soda, and vanilla. Stir buttermilk mixture into butter/chocolate mixture. Pour into sheet cake pan and bake at 350-degrees for 20 minutes.
While cake is baking, make the icing. Chop pecans finely. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add cocoa, stir to combine, then turn off heat. Add the milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Stir together. Add the pecans, stir together, and pour over warm cake. Enjoy! Take this sheet cake to your next party, you will make lots of friends! Nettie This post has been linked up to these fabulous blogs!
Photobucket

10 comments:

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef said...

I love a good chocolate sheet cake. I'll try yours and see if it's better than mine. :)

Terra said...

Now I can comment, yay! I love delicious sheet, your recipe sounds wonderful! Hugs, Terra

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

There is nothing better then a good chocolate cake if you ask me....I need to try this one to compare :-)

Moore or Less Cooking said...

Hi Maureen,

Sounds great!

Nettie

Moore or Less Cooking said...

Hi Terra!

Thank you so much for trying so hard to get a comment on my blog! It's always wonderful to see you!

Nettie

Moore or Less Cooking said...

Hi Bibi!

Let me know what you think, this really is the BEST!!

Unknown said...

YUM! That looks good and I am glad that you linked up... Also glad that you noted it would be good for breakfast as when I do make this and eat it for breakfast I am going to tell my husband that it is written in the recipe :). Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and for following me... I had thought you were already too but I have noticed that some of the blogs that I had been following I am not anymore ~ maybe someone is telling me something :).

Moore or Less Cooking said...

Hi Marlys!

Oh yes, this cake is perfect for breakfast! So happy to see you and thank you for following my blog! Nettie

Unknown said...

Nettie this sounds fabulous, I've never gone wrong with a Pioneer Woman recipe either! What a fun surprise for your friend. Who says only kids should get to celebrate birthdays! I'm featuring this at this weeks Thursday's Treasures, thanks for sharing. Pinned.

Moore or Less Cooking said...

Joan,

Thank you so much for featuring The Best Chocolate Sheet Cake on Thursday's Treasures!

Nettie