Thursday, September 29, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake Birthday Cake

This is a very special cake for one of the most special people in my life. Just a little pressure that I put on myself. But anyway, when I asked my very special person what she would like for a cake for her 14th birthday, she replied, " Um mm, chocolate cake, No.......chocolate cupcakes, No... can I have a Strawberry Shortcake?"  I responded, "Okay, so would you like a Strawberry Shortcake Cake?"  She exclaimed with much glee, "Yes please!!" Well that settles that. I have made strawberry shortcake ump-teen times ( it just so happens to be my husband's favorite dessert- go figure?), but a Strawberry Shortcake Cake.....not a one. I checked out what the Internet would have to say about that and up popped The Pioneer Woman's recipe----Strawberry Shortcake Cake! I am really excited now because I keep up with the famous food blogger and I have made a couple recipes of The PW's and they have been really delicious. The PW gets her shortcake recipe from The Barefoot Contessa, Ina Garten, another one of my favorite chefs...I am starting to get goosebumps, I know, it really is the little things.


It really is a pretty cake.


I think I took more pictures of the cake than my daughter. Yes, I am sure of it.


This is a delicious fun cake to eat, since there is a pound of strawberries in one cake, it really is a healthy cake!


I like the look of the cake, no one cake has the same look with strawberries mixed in the icing.


Refrigerate cake to keep frosting from being soft.


My daughter said her cake tasted like, " Strawberry Deliciousness".


Stop for Cake Candles- It's true- we all should, stop for cake, that is.




This is one of my favorite cakes now. I knew it would be great, but I didn't know it would be this great!






Ingredients:


Cake

1-1/2 cups Flour
3 Tablespoons Corn Starch
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
9 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, softened
1-1/2 cup Sugar
3 Large Eggs
1/2 cup Sour Cream, Room Temperature
1 teaspoon Vanilla


__________


Icing


8 ounces Cream Cheese, Room Temperature
2 sticks Unsalted Butter
24 ounces Powdered Sugar, Sifted
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 pound Strawberries


Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two- 8" pans.
  • Sift together flour, salt , baking soda, and corn starch.
  • Cream 9 tablespoons butter with sugar until fluffy.
  • Add eggs one at a time, mixing well each time. 
  • Add sour cream and vanilla and mix until combined. 
  • Add sifted dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just barely combined. Pour into cake pans. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until no longer jiggly. Remove cake from pan immediately and place on cooling rack, allow cake to cool completely. Cake will be golden brown on the outside.
  • Stem strawberries and slice in half from top to bottom. Place in a bowl and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons sugar. Stir together and let sit for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, mash the strawberries wit a fork into two batches. Sprinkle each half with 1 tablespoon sugar and allow to sit another 30 minutes.
  • Make icing: combine cream cheese, 2 sticks softened butter, sifted powdered sugar, vanilla and a dash of salt. Mix until light and fluffy.
  • Spread strawberries evenly over each cake. Then place cake topped with strawberries in the freezer for 5-10 minutes, just to make icing easier.
  •  Remove from freezer. Use a little less than 1/3 of the icing to spread over the top of the strawberries of the bottom layer. Place the second layer on top. Add half of the remaining icing to the top spreading evenly, then spread the remaining icing around the sides.
  • IMPORTANT:Cake is best when served slightly cool. The butter content in the icing will cause it to soften at room temperature. For best results store in fridge.
Recipe Adapted from The Pioneer Woman and The Barefoot Contessa
  Serves 10




Posted by Picasa

This recipe may be linked with:

MondayMingle Monday (Add a Pinch), Joy of DessertsTuesday2 Maids a Baking (2 Maids a Milking), Tea Party Tuesdays (Sweetology), Mushki Loves My Stuff (Mushki Loves), Totally Tasty Tuesdays (Mandy's Recipe Box). WednesdayCast Party WednesdayMade It On Monday (Lark's Country Heart), This Chick Cooks.  ThursdaySweet Treats Thursday (Something Swanky), Chic-and-Crafty (Frugal Girls), Turning the Table Thursdays (Around My Family Table), Tasty Thursday (The How-To Mommy). FridaySweet Tooth Friday (Alli-n-son), I'm Lovin' it Fridays (TidyMom), Friday Favorites (Simply Sweet Home). SaturdaySweets for a Saturday (Sweet as Sugar Cookies), Seasonal Inspiration (Crumbs and Chaos). SundayA Well-Seasoned Life,Sharing Sundays (Everyday Sisters)       


Six Sister's Stuff

Around My Family Table
Photobucket     Button
























40 comments:

Moore or Less Cooking said...

Thanks Lucie! Happy Day!

Diana said...

Mackenzie is so beautiful! The cake looks great. I think I have to try it!

Moore or Less Cooking said...

Thank you Didi. I hope you do try the cake, you will love it!

Unknown said...

yummy nice cake!! daughter is gorgeous...here from Swanky's blog hop!

Anonymous said...

This cake looks delicious! I'm also a huge fan of Ina's recipes, so I can only imagine how yummy this must have been. I'm here from Something Swanky's blog hop and am your newest follower. :)

Kim @ Little Rays of Sunshine
morrowsunshine.blogspot.com

Moore or Less Cooking said...

Hi Kim,

Thank you for following me! This cake really is wonderful, your family will love it. I looked at your blog, it is really great. So much artistic talent. I will follow you and learn try to be crafty!

Nettie

Katie said...

mmmm this looks super yummy! Stopping by from Something Swanky!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

This cake looks yummy! I'm a new follower from Something Swanky. :) I can't wait to read more!

Lyuba @ Will Cook For Smiles said...

Looks wonderful!!!!

Krista said...

OMGosh, this looks so good. I love strawberry cake/cupcakes. Thanks for stopping by EMM! I'm following you now and added you to my blog list :)

Chef in Training said...

This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing! I am your newest follower from the Something Swanky Blog hop! I would love for you to come check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Kirsten @ Mushki Loves said...

This looks delish! I am following you right back! Thanks for stopping by! I would love for you to link up your yumminess to my link party http://mushkiloves.blogspot.com/2011/09/mushki-loves-my-stuff-party-1.html It will run from Tue.-Tues. for a few weeks...you can link up as many ads you want to! and I also have "Let's be Friends" Blog Hop running from Fri.-Fri. if you wanted to link up to that also!

Hope to see you there!
Kirsten

Michael said...

Oh yum, that looks so good. Here from Something swanky, new follower :)
Aimee @ ShugarySweets

Moore or Less Cooking said...

@ Katie- Thanks for stopping by!

Nettie

Moore or Less Cooking said...

@ Dorothy,

Thanks for stopping by and following!

Nettie

Moore or Less Cooking said...

@ Kirsten- thanks for stopping by and I posted my cake on your blog! Fun Party!

Nettie

Moore or Less Cooking said...

@ Aimee,

Thanks for following!

Nettie

Moore or Less Cooking said...

@ Trish--

Thank you! She is beautiful inside and out! Thanks for stopping by!

Nettie

Moore or Less Cooking said...

@ Lyuba-

Thanks for stopping by!

Nettie

Moore or Less Cooking said...

@ Krista,

Thank you for following me and adding me to your blog list. I love anything strawberry! Have a great weekend!

Nettie

Moore or Less Cooking said...

@ Chef in training-

Thanks for following me. Your blog is really great. Wow! My mouth was watering- so many great ideas!

Have a great weekend!

Nettie

Kim McCallie said...

This does looks delicious and would be the perfect birthday cake. I love strawberries and cream. It's beautiful! Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

Moore or Less Cooking said...

Kim,

Thank you for letting me share on Sweet Indulgences Sunday. Love your blog!

Nettie

Kim Bee said...

New follower. Love this recipe. Special for sure, it's gorgeous and so is your daughter. Hope you are having a wonderful weekend.

Moore or Less Cooking said...

Hi Kim Bee,

Thank you for following me. Thank you, she is a treasure. Enjoy your weekend as well!

Nettie

Chef in Training said...

yum! What a beautiful cake! Thanks so much for linking up to Tuesday Talent Show! I would love to have you stop by and link up again tomorrow with more great projects!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Moore or Less Cooking said...

Hi Nikki-

Thanks for having me over! Love your blog- Chef in Training- you are an amazing chef!

Nettie

Jillian@FoodFolksandFun said...

This looks super yummy, I'm your newest follower! =)

Moore or Less Cooking said...

Thanks Jillian!

Anonymous said...

Great looking cake! My kids would love this. PS Can you share with me this blog hop thing you did? I would like to get as many comments as you did on this (well deserved!)
Linda @spiceboxtravels

Willa@ArmstrongFamillyFare said...

Looks really good! When I was little I would always request a strawberry cake with strawberry icing! ;) When I saw your post title it brought back some memories!
Stopping by from Something Swanky Blog Hop! Consider yourselve stumbledupon!

Moore or Less Cooking said...

Oh Willa- you will love this cake, I hope it is as good as the one from your childhood. Thanks for stopping by and Stumbling!

Nettie

Camille said...

This cake looks so dang good!! Thanks for sharing! Stumbled from Something Swanky!
Camille @
SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com
PS We have a link party every Saturday- we would love to have you come share some of your great ideas with us!!

Moore or Less Cooking said...

Hi Camille- Thanks for stopping by and admiring the Strawberry Shortcake Birthday Cake- it was super delicious! Thanks for stumbling by via Something Swanky! I linked up to your party today @ Sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com my newest recipe Easy Cinnamon Pumpkin Cake Muffins. Thank you for hosting.

Nettie

catering in manila said...

Love the cake! You’re amazing. This ingredients is fantastic, It sure will help everyone who’s looking for a perfect cake like this. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

zonia

Moore or Less Cooking said...

Dear Zonia,

Thank you so much for stopping by, this cake is so delicious and my family's favorite. I hope you get a chance to make a cake for your special occasion. See you soon!

Nettie

Moore or Less Cooking said...

Dear Linda,

Thank you so much! Did you get a chance to figure out the blog hopping? Message me and I will walk you through it! Nettie

Donna Elick said...

Nettie,

This sounds amazing! Your daughter is one lucky girl! Thanks for sharing.

Donna Elick said...

Hi Nettie, this looks fantastic! That is one lucky girl. Thank you for sharing.

Moore or Less Cooking said...

Thank you so much @The Slow Roasted Italian! Yes she is, we are all very lucky! Thanks so much for stopping by, great to see you! Nettie